Sonntag, 22. April 2012

First Asparagus of the year with Sauce hollandaise and Schnitzel


Today I cooked asparagus with Sauce hollandaise. It is one of my favorite spring  dishes.  
Most people are afraid of preparing Sauce hollandaise. It is just a simple composition using egg yolks, butter and a little white wine but you have to take care while preparing, or it will go straight to the garbage bin - the eggs can turn too firm aka scrambled eggs and the butter separate. If this happens, there is no helping, it is ruined.
Doing it following the rules there is no need to buy the sauce from stores. Freshly made Sauce hollandaise is quite something heavenly, so give it a try. The store bought doesn’t taste that good and it is loaded with ingredients where there is no need for – stabilizers and such, nasty with a stingy aftertaste.
For Schnitzel I decided against the breaded and fried version, Hollandaise is loaded enough.

pretty perfect golden Hollandaise

For Asparagus
  • 1 kg asparagus white and green (more traditional white only), peeled: the green half way up only
  • ½ tablespoon sugar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ½ cup water
Schnitzel
  • 4 lean thin  pork back slices
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon Crema di balsamico
  • Pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  •  oil
Sauce:
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 120 g butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons white wine
  • 1 pinch sugar
  • 1 squeeze lemon juice
  • 1 small pinch salt
  • pepper to taste

First I peeled some small potatoes and started to boil them in salted water covered by a lid. I rubbed and marinated the pork with the ingredients above except the flour.
I heated up the butter in a large pan and fried the white asparagus together with the sugar until it starts to caramelize and the asparagus showed some golden roasting marks, I added the green asparagus and fried it a little more and finally deglazed with the water and sprinkled salt. I covered the asparagus and steamed it on medium heat just for a few minutes.  Set it aside and kept it warm – the asparagus should be rather firm at this time and soften a little while kept warm.
I dusted the pork slices with flour and roasted them on high heat 1minute from each side and afterwards wrapped them in tin foil to keep them warm until ready to be served.
I dropped the 3 egg yolks in a round metal bowl and whisked in the wine and sugar. I melted the butter until it was really runny.
I put the bowl over the pot with the potatoes (still simmering on lower heat) and whisked the egg yolks with a balloon whisk ongoing. I added the butter when the eggs began to thicken little by little (spoon by spoon) whisking, whisking, lemon juice, whisking, whisking, whisking until the sauce was finished – texture like a creamy hot vanilla pudding. At least I sprinkled a little salt and pepper. 
You have to keep a sharp eye on the sides of the bowl – if there appears a firmer egg cover it is way too hot. Remove the bowl and let it cool for a few seconds and lower the heat of the simmering water bath, don’t stop whisking and allways make sure to whisk and scrape the bowl sides while whisking.
Usually you would make the sauce over hot water  using a separate pot for the water bath,  but the bowl and the potato pot fit perfectly so this is very convenient method and economic too.
Meanwhile the potatoes where finished - timing is everything because the Sauce hollandaise can not be reheated!

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Thank you for introducing sauce hollandaise. Like most people, I would be afraid of making it myself, although it sounds intriguing and appetizing!

Sissi hat gesagt…

Haha! I have never prepared sauce hollandaise and am one of those who are scared to do it. I love asparagus though and your dish looks delicious, so I should be brave enough to make it (there is no way I buy the supermarket sauce).

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes Sissi, give it a try (but it is really bad for the hips)