Dienstag, 20. November 2012

Beef Rendang

Sissi showed how to make a great Redang with beef cheeks. It looked so good, I had to prepare it too. I nearly followed her recipe, just applied some minor changes due to some circumstances .

My supper, vegetables, basmati rice and meat stew
1.  I skipped the lemon grass and lime leaves and used lime rind instead. Why so? Husband hates, hates, hates lemon grass. Last week we were dining in an very good Thai-Restaurant and he suffered quite a lot. The taste of lemon grass reminds him on toilet cleaning products - there is no helping. And I had no kaffir lime leaves in storage. Peels from green limes are a great substitute, just a few stripes will do.
2. I used Macademia nuts.
3. I used ginger instead of finger ginger.
4. I used less chilli peppers, 3 red dried sechzuan chilli peppers had to do.
5. I used my electronic blender to blend the spice paste which turned out more finely so nut bits or chilli pieces are not to be seen in the sauce. And I roasted the paste in a little sesame oil before adding the coconut milk.
6. I used palm sugar
7. I used ox meat from the upper leg cut in shorter trimmings. This I had in storage. Therefor cooking time all in all took 3.5 hours only. 
So that is all, my supper: my most beloved Basmati rice, carrots and broccoli steamed in dashi and spiced with ground sesame-salt and beef in spicy coconut sauce. For the rest visit Sissi following the link above.

Meat in close-up


Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

Kiki, I am honoured to see that my recipe has encouraged you to make rendang and I'm very happy that you liked it. Thank you so much for the link and mention.
I had a good laugh reading about lemon grass. I also know a woman who says the same thing about both lemon grass and kafir leaves.
Your rendang looks perfect and I like your creative modifications.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Husband just finished all of the Rendang and I received a so called thick kiss. Thank you very much for your recipe. He enjoyed it!
Yeah, yeah lemon grass, I once made a vietnahmese fish soup which I liked very much, based on plenty of lemon grass and fish stock. He had 1 spoon and that was it. He is a gentleman but he searched for a way to get rid of this spoon (laugh). Ah, and he said he will never visit a Thai-Restaurant again.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

I have a question about your chopsticks.

Do you use usually use Chinese chopsticks? Or, do you use Japanese and/or Korean chopsticks, too?

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

I use chinese chopsticks because I own chinese chopsticks only. It is hard to buy japanese products around here.