Samstag, 3. November 2012

Cheese crackers

Last time a friend made a batch of sweet roasted and caramelized almonds just as a small present for us. When she arrived they were still warm and very delicious. Now I made something for her in return. We are talking about little snacks and the first thing coming up to my mind was something salty (must be the aftermath of the almonds).

Cheese crackers

The dough is quite easy but preparation may take time and make sure to use small cookie shapers/cutters.

Dough (2 baking sheets):
150 g flour
100 g butter
100 g cheese (mixed grinded cheddar or gouda and parmigiano reggiano)
a good pinch salt - amount depends on the cheese
pinch sweet chilli powder so called Paprika
smaller pinch smoked chilli powder
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon milk

Topping:
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
seeds (white sesame, cumin, nigella seeds/black cumin)

First cut butter into small cubes. Mix cheese with egg yolk, add butter, spices, salt, flour, milk and kneat into a dough (by hands only no kitchen engine please). If the dough is way too dry and crumbly add a little more milk. Work quickly and store the dough in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Roll the dough over a lightly floured baking board and cut very small cookies, roll a rather thin layer, the cookies will rise a bit.  If you work in two batches make sure to store half of the dough in the fridge until you need it again.
I always use pastry shapers I bought for small money on an antique market, they are over 100+ years old but it would be a waste not to use them. So maybe you don't have the same shapes but it doesn't matter. I just would not want to use shapers for easter or christmas (laugh), so I prefere rectangle shapes, circles, fish, mushroom and a heart.


Put the cookies or crackers on a baking sheet (use parchment paper or a duration baking foil), pinch the cookies lightly with a fork (just 2x each cooky), baste with some egg wash and sprinkle with seeds. 

 

Bake for about 10 -12 minutes at 180 degree Celsius or until golden. Lovely cheesy smell...


Here we are: a small heart


Kommentare:

Sissi hat gesagt…

They look delicious and so impressive compared to the salty crackers I sometimes prepare (lazy crackers made with ready to use puff pastry...). It's an excellent idea to give edible presents made at home. Every time I do it people are really touched.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Yes, most people are really happy about receiving edible presents: Those kind of presents don't collect dust and need no space.
Good presents as so far: cookies, cakes, home made chocolat, liqueurs, jams, pickles, chutneys, sauces as ketchup, chilli sauce... I have a friend always inviting me to novembers goose dinner while hoping to stock up her poultry glazes (chilli pepper quince jelly) and right she is. She doesn't invite me for the glaze only...

Sissi hat gesagt…

Chili pepper quince jelly sounds like an excellent idea! I do make lots of chili jelies and other hot jellies based on chili. I also prepare quince jelly, so why I have never thought of combining the two? Thanks for the idea.
As for presents, I am known as the one who is a crazy preserver and for the last two or three years everyone was giving me empty jars and received some full jars instead. Now I have so many rusty lids that I have announced last summer I only take lids ;-)
I also make liqueurs (or rather just home-made infused alcohol because it's not as sweet as liqueurs).