Sonntag, 11. November 2012

Dried persimmons again

This year I am going to dry persimmons al fresco using threads. Looks funny. Husband calls it early X-mas decoration...
I don't know if this will work out. We always have strong winds and birds or the fruits may fall off - already happend twice while tying them up.
I simply peeled the fruits and made a shallow cut around the stem section (calyx base) to have something to tie the thread around (read about this in an korean expat blog). I dipped the fruits in boiling water containing a litte citric acid to prevent mold, before hanging them up.

Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Clever idea! I will also dry persimmons when my father send them to me. I will also have to think of a good way to keep them up in the air.

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

If you ask your father nicely he can harvest persimmons leaving a short piece of the twigs at the stems as base for tying them up. Would be much easier and reduces the risk of falling down: Thread cuts through the softened fruit and sayonara. I have lots of space to hang more persimmons but I don't trust my method that much. I would like to because persimmons are really cheap at the moment - especially the more harsh tasting.

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Yes, I know. That's exactly how my father picks up persimmons for drying.
See photos here:
http://hiro-shio.blogspot.jp/2008/11/hoshi-gaki-dried-persimmons.html
But that's not 100% error-free.

Sissi hat gesagt…

I remember your last year's persimmons! I wish we had other stuff than the bland Spanish kaki... Maybe one day? Good luck! I hope you will enjoy them all year round.