Sonntag, 25. November 2012

Tofu skin rolls with pork, cabbage and bamboo shoots



Whenever I visit the asian supermarket, I buy at least one thing I never had bought before, without thinkig twice.  I am curious as a cat... Afterwards I start a research in the net, on what to do with this little friend. 
Recently I bought frozen tofu skin sheets. I knew fried Tofu skins from preparing Treasure bags, but you can buy the tofu skin bags ready made in a broth and sealed in a plastic container. To make it short: Never had plain Tofu skin sheets before, a chinese product.
Today I decided to make a little kitchen experiment with those sheets - Tofu skin rolls stuffed with pork and vegetables.
rice, roll cut into pieces, vegetables
 
First I defrosted the sheets by placing them on a wooden cutting board covered with a damp towel. 
I started with the stuffing:
400 g ground pork (lean)
125 g bamboo shoot, already  cooked, sliced and chopped finely
½ small cabbage, shredded, roughly chopped, blanched and squeezed (this guy lazed around in the fridge and I thought: well Gyoza stuffing...)
5 Shiitake, soaked, minced
1 big egg
1 tablespoon starch (just to keep everything together)
1 pinch Chinese 5-Spice powder - I love this
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 heaped teaspoon grated ginger
1 garlic glove, minced
lots of black pepper
1 pinch chilli flakes
1 pinch salt
1+ tablespoon soy sauce
1+ tablespoon oyster sauce

I mixed all the ingredients until well combined by hand. For seasoning it is good to try the stuffing in it's raw state. There is nothing unhealthy in this, I took just a little bit for a taste adjustment check. Actually it was ground pork to be eaten raw, a german speciality (some call this kind of pork craftsmen marmelade because it is eaten raw, heaped on bread, sometimes together with an raw egg yolk and onions, beer fits perfect, very well liked by the males). 
I cut Tofu skin sheets to the size of a small paper handkerchiefs and filled each sheet with 2 good tablespoons filling and wrapped them up.
first the sides than up from one small end ->

8 rolls...


I fried each roll on both sides in oil until golden and made sure to place the rolls on the side with the ends of the wrapping first. Afterwards I layered them on paper towels to get rid of the oil.
Heated up 450 ml dashi with 40 ml soy sauce, 40 ml mirin, 40 ml sake.  Layered the golden fried rolls into this stock, covered them with a drop lid and simmered the lot about 25 minutes. 


simmered rolls

Meanwhile I cooked rice and a vegetable sidedish, actually we had just carrots and summer squash match sticks simmered in a little dashi with a hint of soy sauce. 
The rice was very tasty with the roll broth (not as fat as I thought) and my husband had the rolls with sweet chilli sauce. Due to a jaw surgery (2 freshly made tooth implants) I am no good with hot and spicy sauces at this time. Hurts like hell. Never do this I can tell you. 

I thought the thin skins would become more soft. Actually they stayed quite firm but tasty.





Kommentare:

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

Yuba (湯葉)! In Japan, it's a specialty of Kyoto, and it's not something I'm willing to incorporate into my cooking. You did a very good job!

Eating ground pork raw?! That sounds very intriguing!

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Interesting. You don't like it because it is from Kyoto o you don't like it?
Yes eating raw ground pork or lean ground or diced beef is common. See how funny it is decorated (laugh), sometimes...
https://www.google.de/search?q=mettigel&hl=de&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MbCzUPmpEcrJswaCv4HICw&ved=0CDcQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=626

Sissi hat gesagt…

They look fantastic. I also often buy some new products and sometimes throw them away after years because I forget about them... This happened to tofu skins once! Thank you for this recipe. Next time I will not throw them.
Raw ground pork? Is is specially bred? In most countries vets and doctors say it's very dangerous and that basically every pig has parasites which can be caught by humans (not the same as raw beef which is popular and in France even pregnant women can eat it unless it's from an unknown source). I guess now that my half-raw chicken breast experience in Tokyo is a joke in comparison...

Hiroyuki hat gesagt…

For one thing, yuba is not something I grew up with, and I can live without it. For another, it's hard to get by here, and it's rather expensive as compared with other soy products such as tofu and abura age. Besides, I don't know how to use it properly.

Germans eating raw pork, Frenchmen eating raw oysters, Americans eating raw broccoli, and Japanese eating raw fish.

Why were the Japanese called barbarians by some people in the past? (And, I believe that some people still think we are.)

Fräulein Trude hat gesagt…

Hi Sissi, it was my first encounter with tofu skins too. Found them in the freezed food section which is rather huge. There are lots of mysterious things in there (laugh) especially looking at the sea food. The price was low.

Hiroyuki: I thought we germans are the barbarians. The romans started to use this term for us about 2000 years ago and we are still not well liked.

Anonym hat gesagt…

thanks for sharing.